Sunday, January 13, 2013

Appreciation....What a Day!

Appreciation. What does it mean? The dictionary states a couple of things. It means thankful recognition, and it can also mean an increase in the value of property goods. The kind of appreciation I am expressing however is thankful recognition. Appreciation is what I realized after today, is something that is powerful and wonderful to give and receive. Anyone can show you how much they appreciate you. It doesn't take a whole lot, sometimes it could be something as simple as saying, "thank you". Many couples complain about not feeling appreciated. One lover may cook all the time, and the other lover may never say thank you. One lover may pay all the bills, and provide financial support, yet "thank you" is never uttered from their lips. A friend may do something difficult for another friend, yet they never hear "thank you". The little things such as appreciating someone, can go a very long way. Today was that day! Yet a day, I was initially frightened of. I was ready for it to get here so I could get this nervous feeling out of my system. It was the day of an appreciation for me, as well as my homeboy who plays drums with me each and every Sunday. I am a musician, and there are several events, charities, and organizations that I have had the honor of playing music for. Today, this small little country church, wanted to show me how much they appreciated us in a big way! I was so honored, but a part of me is shy when it comes to those things. Even though people, ministers, and strangers come to me and tell me they are amazed at my gifts and talents as a musician, I still shy away or try to avoid being out in front. I don't know why, I just do. They told me that they knew if I wanted to, I could easily be somewhere else, but the Good Lord saw fit that I was suppose to be there. It was really touching and awesome. As I continue to walk my journey, I've learned you can find some amazing people, in small groups. It doesn't take a big crowd to do some exciting and awesome things. As I've matured I realize something very important, and that is knowing whatever gift or talent you have, do it with love. I could be the most skilled musician, but if I play without love, or my attitude bleeds arrogance and pride, I will probably get that back in one way or another. Some of the smallest groups have touched me tremendously and I am so grateful to have encountered them in my journey. They may say I have blessed them, but each time I inspire someone, they inspire me as well. Each time someone says I encourage them, they encourage me as well. Music has a way of saying what we can't say with words, but we can feel with the melody of a tune. It is true what I heard once, you get what you give. If you give love, you will get it back. I'm just thankful I have the opportunity to turn a frown into a smile, or give people the encouragement of knowing you can do anything you set your heart and mind to if you believe. Music has a way of relaying that message and I am grateful to be a musician that carries its message. You can let anyone know how much you appreciate them and this small group did it in a big way. All I can say is thank you and I'm so grateful just to be appreciated ! Until Next Time, D.

No comments:

Post a Comment