Monday, July 20, 2015

Ass, I am.








We all have eyes, ears, and so many different senses. As much as we hate to admit it, we have so many biases, and prejudices that sit in a pretty nice size apartment in our brains. When we look at someone, we can automatically assume things. Sometimes we go by our mere intuition, and we are point on. Sometimes we go by our own fear and prejudices, and we look like an "ass." Yes, a complete "ass." Someone may walk down the street with a bigger body frame than someone else, and we may automatically assume, "Oh, they must eat a lot." Or, we see someone who may have a certain "swag", and we assume, they must be...Again, sometimes we may be completely spot on. Intuition can tell you a lot. However, a few years ago, I would have placed everyone in my big box of dichotomy and slapped a big bow on the box.

Ten years later however, my world is changing. Just like the world, we are constantly evolving. I have a strong sense that even though there is a lot of friction coming to the surface now, everything from many discussions about sexuality, to more in depth and honest discussion about prejudices and open biases. We are finally facing ourselves. That is one of the most difficult discoveries ever.

As I mentioned in previous posts, I can observe myself. Years ago, I probably would have said, "I would never". Ten years later, I look back and say, I've lied to myself more than a few times. As much as I like to get in on a good conversation, I have to ask myself, the tough questions. Do I participate in the same prejudices I can get angry over? Do I have biases, prejudices, or a judgmental nature? What I may assume or not like about someone else, can easily be a mirror, of what I am reflecting about myself. 

The same things you wonder or assume about someone else, may reflect back to you. One of the toughest things I have done in my life is to examine myself. O boy, what a mess I discovered but I think I may be on my way to the best place I can be, truth. Well, until next time,

Peace 

D.



No comments:

Post a Comment